Saturday, January 11, 2014

String Quilt addiction


I've been wanting to make a Scrappy String Quilt for quite some time.  I pulled out my Big Bag of Beautiful Bindings and figured I would never use those little pieces of binding as binding again so decided they were perfect for a string quilt.  I've been using bits and pieces of squares of fabric also for the corners.  After cutting 9 inch muslin squares..........



Sewing strips onto the muslin squares at a diagonal.......

I have ended up with lots of wonderful blocks.  I love them!  The sashing will be a scrap strip with either white or cream strips on each side.  Then the corner blocks will be 9 patches using scraps too.  I am so excited to finish the top now.  I made a goal of making 2 blocks a day.  It has been really hard not to organize the fabrics but so far I have only made sure I don't have 2 of the same color fabrics beside each other.

It feels so good to regularly get back down in my sewing room and create!

Happy Quilting!                      Lynda

2 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

A great way of getting rid of scraps. Good luck with your goal of two blocks a day. That way the quilt will grow in no time.

Pokey said...

I love the mindless sewing of a string quilt, yours is looking good! I hope you can keep your goal. My only complaint to the strings is that they always seem so messy, so it helps to have a box or a basket to push it all into. But as far as not doing some selection, I'm with you. I call it controlled chaos, 'cuz I just won't be happy with it if the colors are not separated enough, lol ~ :-}pokey