Sunday, August 16, 2009

Flowers for her garden:

Over the years I have made quilts for each new grandchild. This one was made for my granddaughter Kelsey about 6 years ago. I worked on it for a few weeks and did most of it while Ray and I were driving on a vacation. All the flowers were done by hand as individual hexagons, then formed into flowers, then hand sewn onto the white background. It turned out so cute. What I learned from this quilt is that when I make a quilt the is "too cute" it doesn't get used on the new baby. Denise has it hanging over Kelsey's bed where the outside purple border looks perfect with the lavender wall. Of course, I have made several fun quilts for Denise's family so having one hanging on the wall (and possibly becoming an heirloom) is quite an honor.

I am still working on my black, white and red quilt. All the blocks are done but I'm trying to decide if I should just sew them all together or use a thin red sashing between the blocks. I think the red sashing would really look great. Now to find more of the red fabric or something quite close.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Looks great!

Unknown said...

The quilt is beautiful.

Stef said...

Gorgeous flowers! That's a do-able way to make those grandmother's garden patches. And it is being used and enjoyed every day!