Thursday, July 22, 2010

I was having withdrawals after a week away from my sewing room!

After spending 45 minutes placing these 42 blocks on the floor, crawling around changing them to where I thought they looked better (several times), then having my friend, Janine, come over and help me replace them just right, then picking them up, labeling them in rows and sewing them together. . . . I KNOW they will still end up out of place! Janine and I laugh all the time about how we spend hours arranging and rearranging blocks and then are surprised at how the final layout still has alike fabrics side by side or a couple of blocks turned the wrong way no matter how hard we try to make it perfect. We are sure that only other quilters notice those imperfections and the recipients of the quilts love them anyway.


Here is the quilt I am working on this weekend. The blocks have gone together so quickly. I just made half square triangles 9 1/4 inches square, Sewed a 4 inch block on top (leaving the edges unfinished so they fray when washed) and then added sashing to 2 sides. Tonight I will sew them together in rows and hopefully get the 2 borders on too.



This is a quilt I made for a good friend who is now homebound. She collects old hats and these colors just seemed to reflect her happy personality.

A blogging friend, OopsLa, requested that I show the string quilt in full instead of just a corner of it. Please excuse the top of the piano and other furniture. I took this picture from the stairs overlooking the living room. I'm sure there is a way to crop the picture but it is beyond my knowledge. I do like the way it turned out. It has been folded and added to my stack of finished quilt-tops-that-need-to-be-quilted pile.
I'm off to the sewing room. Happy Quilting! Lynda

5 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

Thanks so much Lynda for showing the finished string quilt. It turned out beautiful. I really love it. And I adore the quilt you've made for your friend with the hat and show etc. and your current project looks great too. By the way; if you like to crop your photos, try this: http://www.getpaint.net/download.html. It's really easy (even I could do it ;). Have great weekend. Cheers Vreni

Denise said...

You are quite the arranger! Thanks for helping me 'arrange' my t-shirt quilt. I get to really quilt it Saturday and bind it too. Can't wait for the finished product....I'll post a pic
Love you!

Brenda said...

You are so amazing! I can't wait to see your new one finished and I LOVE the string quilt - I'm glad you showed the whole thing - very dramatic!

Sharon said...

I really like the blocks for the top quilt you are working on...sounds like a fun and easy block to put together. The string quilt is AMAZING...love it! And your hat quilt for your friend is adorable. Have fun sewing your blocks together!

Nicky and Patrick said...

I love all of your quilts. You are amazing! I am glad you posted the red, white, and blue one with the full picture. It is just my style. Glad you got a picture of the hat quilt too. That is amazing. Can't wait to see you soon.