Monday, January 10, 2011

It's a good thing I don't write quilt patterns!

Yes it sure is!!! Just trying to do simple stuff keeps me quite confused when I'm not following a pattern. Several weeks ago I cut up pinks and greens into 1 1/2 inches strips and have been trying to use them up. These Log Cabin blocks seemed pretty undisciplined when set next to each other. I added some white sashing, put them on point and did a bunch of figuring for the set in triangles. I wanted it to look like the blocks were continuing out which worked out pretty well. I just had to make those blocks a little bigger so when they were cut in half they would fit. However, you can see the 4 corners are not in yet. I've cut a couple of blocks and not come out with the right cut. You'd think I could figure it out but my brain wouldn't wrap around it tonight. So I put it away until I can think clearly. I've also made all the star blocks for my Star Crazy quilt. Here they are on my design wall without the fill in pieces.
Tonight I put the first row together. I love these fabrics. So rich and warm. I'm sure my grandson, Taylor, will like it too since it has lots of baseball fabric in it just for him.

You can see as I get to the bottom of the quilt I kind of run out of wall so they get a little squished together. I'll probably get it all put together this week.
Happy Quilting! Lynda


10 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

I just love your star quilt. I must make one myself one of these days. They are so much fun. For your corner block; I would cut two squares, 7/8 inch bigger than the side of the corner, then cut them diagonally. I usually add 1 inch instead of 7/8 and then cut them back to the correct size after I've sewn the corner blocks on. Not very scientific but it works for me.

Oops-Lah said...

sorry, I just realized that I missed to say that when you measure the side of the corner block it should be without the seam allowance.

Pokey said...

Hi, Lynda, mm, more cute stuff here. The star quilt looks challenging to me. I use the generous 1 inch method, I'd rather waste than not have enough. I love on point, but do not like the bias mess, ugh.
:-}pokey

QuiltSue said...

I love the star quilt and the log cabin one. I'm also of the school of thought which says measure the side, add an inch at least then cut it in half diagonally.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Love both of your quilts. I really like the pink and green log cabin blocks and the white sashing set them off perfectly.

Denise said...

Ok...it is time to make ME a quilt again. I am LOVING this new wacky type style you have!

Sure love you!

Nicky and Patrick said...

You amaze me madre! I love that top quilt so much. You cute! Good job!

Brenda said...

I can totally relate to trying to figure out a quilt without a pattern, I am doing the same thing - it keeps me up at night!!! Love both quilts!

Sharon said...

Both quilts are lovely...especially intrigued with the star quilt. It is coming along nicely!

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Both your WIPs looks wonderful, Lynda! The star quilt looked first like a big puzzle to put together but I see you're sewing the blocks and fillers into rows. That would most certainly be my method of choice too. I don't really mind sewing y-seams, but I'm always afraid I won't get the top flat if I mess around too much.
I too love home-days and actually plan them once in a while, just like a little vacation from everyday life.
Ellie is so cute, she's growing so fast and a puzzle-finisher already.-)