Friday, May 6, 2011

Patriotic Scraps

I made this quilt top several months ago when I decided to cut stash fabrics into strips and make quilts trying to use up my stash (which doesn't consist of large pieces of fabric like many of yours but rather is made up of small pieces that I just can't throw away!) I really used a lot of reds and blues in this quilt, but, of course, the bins don't look any emptier.

The quilter, Linda at Just Sew in Highland, Utah quilted lots of stars and loops and it looks amazing! I am in awe of her ability to take a very lopsided, unsquare, quilt and turn it into a very beautiful work. She even trimmed all the edges and batting for me so it was ready to add binding. The binding was even from my big bag of beautiful leftover bindings.



I'm very fond of using flannel for my backs now and found this blue and white piece at the Fabric Mill in Orem.


I love it that the only thing I had to buy for this quilt was the backing. The reds, whites and blues were all tucked away in my cupboards. I think this counts as a semi-free quilt.



Happy Quilting! Lynda




8 comments:

Carol G said...

Very nice. Great use of your scraps.

Miss Hillbilly said...

I love flannel too and have considered switching to it for backing. Do you find it hard to free motion quilt over at all? just wondering if it slides easily.

Jolcia said...

Lynda! Cieszę się, że odwiedziłaś mój blog. Widziałam Twoje patchworki. Są bardzo ładne. Pozdrawiam serdecznie.

Lynda! I am glad that you visited my blog. I saw your quilts. They are very nice. Yours sincerely.

Cheryll said...

It's stuning... so fresh looking...and I love that it is unsquare and stash busting to boot! Makes one feel GooD when you use up bits and pieces! :)

~Niki~ said...

lovely~can I ask what pattern you used for this one?

QuiltSue said...

It's beautiful.

Pokey said...

Hooray for free! Another reason to enjoy this patriotic quilt. You will be using this one in July for sure!
:-}pokey

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Love it!