Monday, January 18, 2010

Busy, busy, busy

Here is what I have been working on the last few days. I thought I had purchased enough fabric for the next Christmas quilt or maybe even 2. But.....I have cut out enough for 3. I cheated a little on the pattern (which I saw somewhere in some quilting magazine but can't find now). Instead of cutting the fabric and sewing it back together I decided to just machine applique the squares or rectangles in place giving the same "look" as if I had done all that cutting and sewing. These are the blocks done for the first quilt and the rest of them are sitting at the back ready to be put together. It is going fairly quickly and I am so excited that I will probably have 4 of my 8 Christmas quilts done by the end of January. Woohoo!
I tried my hand at making a purse. I really like the fabrics used, like the pattern o.k. except that it isn't quite big enough for me to use, and I used too stiff of a liner in it. I made this one and a black and white one. They were just for practice so I didn't put a closer (wish I had now). I like the magnet ones. I gave the black and white one to the young granddaughter of my friend, Janine, and she seemed to love it. However, if I make it again I will make it about half again bigger. I can barely fit my wallet in it at this size. They were very easy to make and I did learn a lot about what not to do next time.
Happy quilting to you all. Lynda

6 comments:

Brenda said...

What a clever idea to machine applique those square on top!

Unknown said...

I love your idea to applique the squares!

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

You amaze me, Lynda, sewing like the wind!
Great idea appliqueing those squares and rectangles!

Sharon said...

What a great feeling to have 4 Christmas 2010 projects done! And I love the purses. I know what you mean about the purse not being big enough! I have tried to down-size my purse, but usually get frustrated because I cannot throw everything in it!

Helen McNaught @ AuntyHennys said...

Well done! 3 xmas quilts:-) and I love your purse.... I know what you mean though about the size.... I have a bag pattern called "Sweet Sixteen" and now I know why it's called that--- you can only fit your mobile phone and maybe a bus ticket!!

Happy Sewing!

em's scrapbag said...

Great idea doing the applique. I hate cutting out and that would save a lot of time spent with the rotary cutter.